Monday, March 2, 2015

All Flared Up And No Where To Go


As far as RA goes, I would have to give myself a C. I'm not doing the best but then again I'm doing better than others. I keep hoping that they will unveil a miracle RA drug in my lifetime but I am losing hope for me. I still wish for it for future generations of RA patients though. 

I am just coming out of the most severe flare ups that I have had in two and a half years. It hit me all at once and had me in bed for the larger part of two days this past week. I can walk comfortably again and have use, without pain, of both hands again. My back and left shoulder along with hips are still hurting but I can function with them like they are. I had to call in and take an emergency vacation last week. That pisses me off more than the flare up. I had no other option but I hate burning a week of vacation due to hurting or being sick. I have FMLA that I use for a single day once or twice a year but I don't get paid when using FMLA and I couldn't afford missing a whole weeks pay. Thanks RA, you suck.

My DJI Phantom 2 Vision drone should be here today. I did manage to go out and start my bike yesterday afternoon and let it charge a little bit ... man did it sound good just idling on the driveway. I'm pretty sure I heard it say "come on, lets go for a ride". Even though the roads were primarily clear, we had a combination of rain, freezing rain and snow, it was way too cold for me. I just pushed her back into the shop and shut the door, waiting for a better day. I hate RA and I hate winter! Haha, guess that makes me a hater.

5 comments:

Wren said...

Oh, Terry! That's so hard! I'm self-employed now (for what it's worth) but oh, do I remember hating to take vacation days because I hurt too much to work. It was like being punched once in the belly and then, in the nose. in the end, we learn to live with it, but it never gets any easier.

I hope that flare will ease up--along with the cold weather--so you can get out for a ride with your magical talking motorcycle. I bet she was as dejected as you were, having to go back to the garage...

Be well, m'friend. Sending a warm hug.

mary said...

Sorry to hear about the flare. I hate to burn vacation days when I don't have something planned. We are lucky in our state we have paid FMLA. It took the place of short term disability. you get 80% of your pay I think. I also have sick time at work that I can roll from year to year. I recently was out for 12 weeks after spinal surgery and got a full check every 2 weeks because I had rolled so much sick time over the years. Spoiled I know. No wonder it is so expensive to live in this state.

Hope you are feeling better. At least it wasn't riding weather when you had the flare. That's something I guess...

Terry said...

Wren, yes it is a double whammy! I'm almost completely over it now so I', going back to work tomorrow. We have sleet and snow tonight but starting tomorrow it will warm up for the next 10 days any way. May be able to sneak a ride in next week! Thanks for the hug!

Hey Mary, paid FMLA would be wonderful except that so many people would take advantage of it where I work. My old job gave us 1 week of sick pay per year ... where I work now has zero sick days. It is supposed to be 65 by Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. I am ready.

cathy kramer said...

Terry, I know from reading your blog for a while that when you take off from work, things are bad. Sorry to hear that. I don't get paid when I take off, so I can feel your pain. Hang in there. The one nice thing about RA is the pain seems to eventually let up. Fingers crossed yours ends in time for the warmer weather.

Terry said...

Hello Cathy, I had a bad 10-12 days two weeks ago but am back full tilt now. It was 73 yesterday and spent part of the day checking the tent and getting camping stuff ready for this year and then went out to Natural Dam and flew the Phantom2. Good times. I hope you are doing well these days.