Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What Is Wrong With People

Having an invisible illness, as in my case RA, has it's advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that no one sees you as really being sick. It happened to me at work again last week, a co-worker told me they wish they had what I had, they would get on disability and quit work. They went on to say that it looks like what I have isn't too bad! I push myself hard to continue enjoying life. They don't know that I hurt every damn day, that my feet feel like they've been hit with a sledgehammer most days, they don't know what it's like to have pain wake you in the middle of the night and not be able go back to sleep, many nights just the weight of the sheet on my feet hurts them, they have never felt your joints feel like they're on fire during an intense flare. A perfectly healthy person willing to trade their good health in so they could sit on their no good, lazy ass and get a check for doing nothing! I'm really not an angry person, I have developed a adverse reaction to stupidity.

I had three days off this week and was fully flared up in both shoulders. Monday morning I couldn't lift my left arm over waist high. After doing nothing Monday and Tuesday, I have good range of motion in both shoulders this morning. I want to ride today so bad but the responsible part of me says no, you have to go back to work tomorrow. I hate it when responsible me makes sense! 

I have had the forest maps out and between them and google maps I located another iron truss bridge to go shoot and an abandoned schoolhouse from 1905 to go visit. Taking down time isn't always a bad thing.

I have also been reading about the restyled Suzuki V-Strom 650 and have to admit I'm interested. I wish it had a 21" front tire but I still want to look at and throw a leg over one.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry
People who wish themselves older so they can retire or wish themselves infirm do not think it through and are just sitting around doing nothing complaining about other people that they think are doing nothing. They don't have a clue that we would give anything just to move around without pain. That V engine is well known and proven, plus it would have great highway ride, but I have no idea about the cost, weight, or grunt as compared to others.
I had my first Rituxan treatment yesterday and though it was long, it all went well. Hunting season is here for bow, but it is too hot for now to get into the woods so I will wait. I will just be happy if I can get out for a stroll in the fall leaves. Woke up without morning stiffness today and it was awesome. Thank goodness for the small things. Got the bike out on Monday to go to work and back, still fun.
Don't worry about the other people and remember that you are the one who has control and not them.
Hang in there.
Phil

Sherri Husselbaugh said...

Terry,
I am sorry to hear you have been having pain and out of work. I still have not been able to ride :(
I was in the hospital for 8 days with blood clots in my lungs from methotrexate. Since I have been off of that my pain and inflammation has come back with a vengeance. Will see Rhuemy next week to see what new meds she will put me on.
I would gladly give this RA away to anybody who wants to just sit around and be lazy! They have no idea how much pain we deal with everyday and how much we struggle to just have a shred of a normal life.
Take care and ride as much as you can..although I know winter will be here before we know it.

Terry said...

Phil, you're so right about them not thinking or knowing the pain we live with every day. The V-Strom is a no go now. Suzuki announced the US price (which comes std with panniers, engine guards, adjustable windscreen) at $10, 399. No thanks at that price. The temps here have been hot then cold then back hot again. I am hoping for a nice long fall this year. Good luck with the hunting this year.

Terry said...

Sherri, thank you. I have had 3 good work days this week and am getting ready to go ride in a few minutes. So sorry about the MTX messing with you. You never really feel good while taking the RA meds but you don't realize how much they are doing til you have to go off of them for a little while.
You're correct, they really don't want what we have! Hope you get straightened out quickly.

david said...

Older is not a bad thing, we can still live productive life in means which we can do many great things and strive forward, if you retire and dont have any long term goals in life retirement can just be an early cause of death

Terry said...

Absolutely David, I'm not ready to cash in yet!