Tuesday, October 7, 2014

RA Tip#37

After being on RA meds for close to 11 years now, I have the routine down pretty well ... or do I? This past Wednesday was shot day, I give myself an injection of humira every other Wednesday. I have always iced my leg down to numb it before the injection at the suggestion of my rheumatologist. I take the shot out of the fridge and let it warm up for about 10 minutes before injecting it. I was preparing my lunches for my work week, baking chicken and cooking vegetables and forgot about it. The shot had been on the counter for close to 25 minutes now when I remembered it. I didn't want to let it sit out for another 5 minutes while numbing my injection site and besides with it warmed up this much the humira would be warmer and probably offset not numbing my leg. I wash my hands and clean the injection site with an alcohol pad. Now remember, I have never not numbed my leg for the injection but ... I'm not scared. At the exact moment the liquid entered my leg, my leg felt the same temperature as it is 30 feet off of the surface of the sun! I considered yanking the needle out of my leg but knew I needed to just man up and ride it out. I pulled the needle out of my leg as soon as it was all in and let out a string of cuss words that would make a sailor jam his fingers in his ears and say "lah lah lah lah lah". In closing I would like to say that I will ALWAYS numb my injection site from that day forward. Just remember, I do stupid stuff and write about it so you don't have to.

About 100 miles into my ride Sunday afternoon, I was riding a patch of asphalt and passed a guy on the shoulder of the road. I slowed and turned around to check on him. I pulled up behind him and asked if he needed gas or help. He smiled real big and said thanks, he just stopped to stretch his legs. We started talking and turns out he was from Tulsa and knew some people I use to race with from over there. Super nice guy, we must have talked 25 minutes or more on the shoulder of the road. Oh. almost forgot the best part, he was riding a black Moto Guzzi V7. Ultra cool retro bike. Face it ... people that ride are just way cooler!



7 comments:

Wren said...

Wow, Terry! Am I glad I read your post tonight! I'm (finally) about to start Humira--my very first injection--and I never even thought about numbing the injection site first. Well, believe me, I will now. Tonight? Hmmm... maybe tomorrow morning... I'm such a chicken. I really want to find out if this stuff will work and finally dial all this extra pain back, but when it comes right down to it, here I am, doing the chicken-cluck.

Anyway, thanks for passing your experience along. You may be forgetful (like all of us) but you're surely not stupid.

Also--I'm glad you got out for a good ride again. It's the things that give us joy that make the Humira worth it--even un-numbed. Be well, m'friend. :oD

Sherri Husselbaugh said...

OUCH!!! Those shots hurt enough even when you numb the area. I always let mine warm up while I ice my stomach, but believe me now I will NEVER forget to. Sorry you had to experience that just to keep the rest of us from doing it...LOL.
Sorry, I know it was not funny.
I was on one shot of Humira every 2 weeks but now I will start on it once a week in addition to a shot of methotrexate. As long as it works and keep me moving, it's all good.
I am going riding tomorrow for the first time since April! I am so excited I probably won't sleep.
Take care and ride on until the cold weather grounds us.....Be well.

Terry said...

Hey Wren!! So good to hear from you, but I'm sorry you're having to start Humira. I would definitely ice your injection spot prior to taking it. I understand, injections are no big deal now, but when I started giving myself shots ... sometimes I would sit there holding the syringe for 10 minutes before I could work up enough never to do it. Best of luck with the Humira, Wren. I'll be over to your blog and check on you soon.

Terry said...

Sherri, yes they do but holy cow ... didn't realize numbing it made that much difference! I don't mind anyone laughing at my experience. It was a true mistake, it happened and even I was laughing at it the next day. How cool going for a ride. People that don't ride just don't get it, but it does us so much good to get out for a while. I'm putting heated grips on my new (May of this year) bike for cold morning rides. hope it was a good ride today!

mary said...

Love meeting random people when I ride by bicycle. My favorite are the guys who have built their own frankenbike. Last month I spoke with a guy that had added lights, a fan,a canopy and a bunch of other stuff.

I'm out of commission for about 6 months due to back surgery. No ra meds for 3 months. That is scarier to me then the spinal surgery has been. Ah,well this too shall pass....right...

Terry said...

Hey Mary, I couldn't agree more. I have met some really interesting people on my rides. That guys bike must have weighed a ton after adding all of that to it. I hope your back heals quickly. 3 months is a long time to go without your meds. You often can't tell they are doing any thing until you have to go off of them for something. Hang in there, you'll be back better than ever!

Jessa Miranda said...

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the ride of your life in spite of what you feel.. You can visit this site http://naturalarthritiscureforlife.com, it can help.