Monday, July 14, 2014

Patiently Waiting Is Killing Me


It has been four weeks since I have felt up to riding and this week is no different.  After doing some research and talking with a few people who have used Cimzia, I am prepared to start it in seven weeks. I usually dread any med changes but feel if it doesn't work, it won't be any worse than where I am right now. I'd like to thank Andrew at Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis for his posts and helpful information on Cimzia.

In addition to feeling major league fatigue, you know the kind where you wake up from 8 hours of sleep every bit as tired as when you went to bed the night before, I got overheated at work Saturday. The door at the front of the press has been broken for three weeks and the heat from the warehouse just comes right in on where we work at the front of one of the presses. It has been hot but Saturday the temperature hit 101, not sure what the heat index was. I thought it was just me but toward the end of the shift Sean, who works the front of the press with me, told me that the heat had got to him as well. 

I have spent the day inside today researching some old abandoned iron truss bridges to ride to and shoot this fall once I start feeling better. One will be a stretch (for me) to ride in one day but I will try to get Randall and/or Greg to go with me. I found another one that was washed downstream and is supposedly still sitting in the creek bed.

btw, I may force myself to get out and do a short ride Wednesday before I start back to work Thursday.

3 comments:

Wren said...

Aw, Terry, I'm sorry you're feeling so rough these days--so rough you haven't been able to get out and ride. I know that riding is your therapy, your relaxation, and your fun, so I understand how BIG this is for you.

I hope the Cimzia will help. Why must you wait another 7 weeks to start it? And I hope that you'll be able to get out an enjoy a short ride this week, but do be careful. It can be so hard with this disease to judge how much is too much, and the consequences can be so punishing.

Chin up, m'friend. You're in my thoughts. Stay cool, stay comfortable, and be well. I'm wishing you the best, as always.

Anonymous said...

Terry
I feel your pain. I got a new seat for my KLR and can't get a leg over for now. My legs and hips have been having a rough time and it is frustrating to see what will or won't work next. Had a blast this spring though and am thankful for it.
I hope you can get out there even if it's a bit of a tame ride for your level of experience. Hang in there and keep positive.
Always glad to see your writing.
Phil- Syr

Terry said...

Thank you Wren. I just received a 3 month shipment of Humira before going to my rheumatologist and talking about med changes. I don't think they will take meds back after you have them in your possession unless there is something wrong with them. I feel better today so if I feel this good tomorrow, I'm going to do a quick 100 miler. Besides with the nice temps here today and the next couple of days, I feel I almost have to take advantage of it!

Hey Phil, I can't get my leg over my bike at all. What I do is put the kickstand down, put my left foot on the shift side foot peg then step up and sling my right leg over, touch the ground with it then lean the bike to the right and put the kickstand up. It takes a few times to get comfortable with doing it but I ride with two KLR riders that are healthy and they mount their bike like me now as well. Let me know if you try it.