Monday, June 2, 2014

What You Missed This Weekend


My first week back to work from vacation was not kind to me. My feet, which have serious damage due to RA, hardly hurt during my vacation time. The first day back I laced up the mandatory steel toes and within 4 hours me feet were begging for mercy ... only 8 hours in the shift to go! I had also grown used to taking a short nap around 2:30 in the afternoon but I made it fine at work without my nap. Funny how I hated naps as a kid but now they rock. My hands and right hip complained but no worse than normal. Mainly it was just my feet with those damn steel toe shoes. My rheumatologist asked me once "could I write your employer a letter explaining the damage in your feet from RA and possibly get them to make an exception in your case?" I told him it wouldn't matter, they want 10,0000% compliance from employees (this is one of their sayings on PPE). He shook his head and said "what I have seen from the medical side is steel toes destroy your feet". My feet couldn't agree more.

I decided to do a short ride Sunday and soon it grew to another co-worker wanting to go. Then I called Greg and he wanted to go then the next day another co-worker asked about going. When we left yesterday, there were three of us, one backed out. It was heavily overcast and 71 degrees with a good breeze with the radar assuring us there was no rain in the area. 

All three of us were riding on extremely worn tires so we took more asphalt than normal. We rode the back way (dirt) into Devils Den State Park and then rode the twisty, curvy mountainous asphalt patch back into Winslow. There we stopped and walked up to the train tunnel to get a few pictures. At least Tony and I did, Greg stayed with his bike setting up his GoPro for the ride though the Boston Mountains back toward home. I have some Bilt adventure boots that aren't as stiff as my Alpinestars so I wore them to walk in. It was about a 1/4 mile walk and didn't bother me at all. Upon returning we found Greg swinging on the park equipment where we left the bikes. Yes folks, he is 50 years old and playing on a swing set at the park where we left him. 
Quick pit stop for air for Greg
Downtown Winslow
Walking the tracks to the tunnel
North entrance to the tunnel
North entrance
Downtown Winslow
Greg swinging

This was a knobby tire 2500 miles ago
Metzler Karoo 3 mounted up
We left Winslow climbing up onto the mountain and it started getting cooler, almost to the point of "wishing I wouldn't have worn my mesh jacket cooler". Soon it started raining on us, it was only a brief rain and we worked our way through the treacherous windy road at break neck speed. Soon we were back on 282 that brought us back into town. Once home I lubed my chain while it was still hot then jacked it up and pulled the front wheel. I changed the front tire and will change the rear tire later this afternoon. 

It was a good day to be out this weekend. Everything is so green right now here, usually we are entering near drought conditions. The sad things is that despite the rain we have received, there were still many dry creeks that we crossed. Hopefully everyone got outside and enjoyed the weekend. 

7 comments:

livingwithra said...

Congrats on being named a top RA blog again! Any chance you could get disability?
Andrew

Wren said...

Terry, I wonder if there are steel-toed shoes that are made for better foot support overall? The toebox on those regulation shoes is probably nice and roomy, but the rest of the shoe doesn't have much to say for it.

I decided to google for you and discovered this website:

http://www.doctorsorthotics.com/zcart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=33_95&zenid=21e3bc773f3acb2914fbb8a82ab6e67b

The boots are jaw-droppingly expensive, but maybe worth the price if you can wear them and be without pain in your feet every day. It's SO hard to cope when your feet hurt--I know, believe me.

Glad you had such a great vacay and weekend ride. I loved the photo of your friend on the swing--so sweet!

Wishing you the best, m'friend. Stay well.

Terry said...

Andrew, thank you and congratulations to you as well. My rheumatologist brought up disability last year but I'm not ready to go that way yet. Hope all is going well for you.

Terry said...

Wren, sorry I'm running so far behind on my blog. I looked at the link (thank you by the way) and the boots are in line with what I pay but the custom orthotics are very interesting to me. I am going to check into them more and may go that route soon.

Thanks again for looking this up for me! I will let you know if I get some of them.

mary said...

Sorry to hear about the feet. When your feet hurt it is the worst.
Glad you got out for a ride. Like the train tunnel pictures. I have a few friends who believe your never too old to swing on a swing set. Life is short, swing away.
Just back from Bend Oregon. Lots-O-Cycles out there. It is a beautiful part of our country with lava flows and caves and mountains and desert all rolled into one. Had some problems hiking but I still got to see many wonderful things.

Sassy Remley said...

Looks as if you had a great time Terry. sorry about the feet though, My feet are also trashed as well thanks to that ever so wonderful frienemy RA.

We are finally having some good weather up here in Oregon, Last month the husband and I went up on the Columbia Gorge and got some great shots of wildflowers, and the other day I ventured into Portland to a park that has a "allegedly" haunted castle LOL. I didnt notice anything, but eh whatever.
Feel free to check out the photos on my blog, you just might find yourself wanting to come up to oregon LOL.

Terry said...

Hey Mary, thanks, the feet are doing better now. I have another train tunnel I am going to shoot this fall but it requires a bit more walking than this one did. yes, it cracked me up when I saw Greg swinging on the park equipment and then I thought "why not?" Glad you got to go to Oregon and got some hiking in, trouble or not that's cool. I have never been up that way but the pictures I have seen are great. I work with a guy that grew up there.

Hello Sassy, love your profile picture! I was just responding to Mary's comment (a bit behind this week) about Oregon and here you live there. I did check your blog and love your photos! I will keep checking in on you to see what you shoot next.