Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Crossroads


I once again find myself at a familiar place with RA. I have been struggling with it for the past 6 to 7 months. I had a lengthy visit with my rheumatologist Monday complete with extra blood work. After examining my shoulder and hands he said inflammation doesn't look that bad and asked if I could get up on the examination table. I got up and walked over and stepped up to get on the table and he said, "you aren't moving well at all!" He also said that he was sure we could get me back to moving and feeling better. I go back in 10 weeks, if I'm not showing signs of improvement, I will be switching medicines again. It appears I may be going with Cimzia next. He gave me literature on it and I will do some research on it online as well before going back.

I just have to get better. I'm having 1 to 2 good days for every 5 to 6 bad days; I just can't go on like this. It's frustrating when you want to go do things but you just don't have the strength or the drive to do it. Fatigue is really been hitting me hard. I wake up every morning  just as tired as when I went to bed the night before. I even have to force myself to go riding lately, and you know how much I love to ride.

I'm not whining, nor I don't want anyone’s sympathy. I just want everyone to understand that, even though I don't complain much about RA, that it is a very real part of my life. I have had comments made in the past that I don't really have RA or I couldn't go ride motorcycles like I do. The bottom line is I hurt every day, but I still get up and push myself to go to work, mow the yard and yes ... lately even to ride my motorcycles.

Perhaps I will feel up to riding next week. Anyone who knows me knows I'm hurting pretty bad when I don't feel like riding at least one of my days off. I have been doing some research on fire towers in our area and may try to hunt some up to photograph this fall. I can remember climbing a couple of them with my dad while out hunting years ago. I remember finding one, just out for a weekend drive with him, back down towards Russellville (I believe) and it was so tall that I chickened out on going to the top of that one. I only made it a little over halfway up on that one. Haha, the things you remember later in life.

Below is the Rich Mountain fire tower that we stopped at last fall on a ride. You can climb it a couple of days a week, but the day we were there it was locked up.


5 comments:

mary said...

Terry, So sorry you're struggling. I can relate. Yesterday I finally came to the conclusion that the bike and I may be on the verge of parting ways, at least for a while. Riding is becoming an exercise in pain. I find myself coming up with excuses not to ride. We all know we have to exercise to maintain some joint strength but geez it is a trial sometimes. Like you I'll regroup and move forward and I am glad to have your blog to read and to see that I'm not the only one struggling.

Feel better my friend. I hope you get all the rides in you have planned for this summer. I'm going to spend less time on the bike and more in the pool. I'm hoping that after surgery this fall I can get some of my umph back.

Sassy Remley said...

Sorry to read that you are having a tough time of it Terry, hope you get to feeling better soon.

Terry said...

Thanks Mary, it's something we all (all of us with RA) do from time to time but after a solid 6 months, it's time to find something that will work better. SOrry to hear you are having to take a break from your bike. Hopefully it won't be long before you're back on it.

I do have several rides planned but we will see after the new medicine gets here in a few weeks. I hope your surgery goes well and you see a noticeable improvement.

Thanks Sassy. I feel better this week but riding is up in the air right now.

Lana said...

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. I hope the new medication gives you symptom relief. I am sorry to hear about the comments you have heard. People are uneducated about RA so they jump to their own conclusions. Most of us push ourselves because we have to, not because we want to. I hope to hear about your riding adventures soon. Take care and gentle hugs, my friend.

Terry said...

Thanks Lana. I am starting to look forward to changing meds which just shows how rough I have been feeling. I usually dread medicine changes. I just brush the few comments I've had like that off. We all have different progressions of the disease and react to meds differently. I actually felt up to mowing this week and I serviced my bike this morning but just don't feel up to a ride right now ... maybe tomorrow. I hope all is going well with you and the boys this summer.