Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy New Year


Happy New Year to everyone.  I am thankful for being granted the privilege of seeing another years birth.  I've got to lose some weight, not because of a new years resolution but because I stepped on the scales two days ago and said "holy crap!"  As someone who never really thought much about the future, I'm also someone who doesn't look back.  There have been several changes in my life over the past 15 years but none have impacted my life the way that RA has.  I always saw myself still being able to run, ride a bicycle and yes ... racing motorcycles in the super senior class at this age.  

I am looking forward to 2014 with great optimism.  For me, 2013 wasn't that good.  I was dealing with a very long flare up that lasted a good part of the year.  It impacted my work, household jobs and yes ... even riding.  The last 4 months of 2013 I did the best I could to make up for seat time on my bike but then I was sick the entire month of December.  This month long sick marathon was due partly to the mutated, nuclear strain of cold/sinus/ear infection I had, and partly due to my depleted immune system from the RA drugs I take.  I went off of my chemo and biologic while on antibiotics and soon my hands were swelling and hurting followed by my hips, knees and ankles.  I am back on my RA meds and with the exception of this pesky cough, completely over it.

I have been considering a set of medical dog tags to wear in case of emergency.  I know that riding a motorcycle in and outside of town, I am more at risk to be laying on the side of the road somewhere than most of you, but have any of you considered them, or have them?

I will leave you with some photos of a ride I did this past summer.  I stopped by a small lake a few miles from where I live.  I ride by and stop to relax every once in a while.  It is a peaceful lake that almost always has a nice breeze blowing across the water and plenty of empty benches to sit on.  
Spiro Lake


I have never seen this sign before ... on new, smooth pavement no less!
Use to race (enduro's) by one of these on Tinker AFB at OKC.

6 comments:

mary said...

Happy new year Terry! Hope it brings you good health or atleast better health.

I wear something called a Road ID when I ride. It has my emergency contact numbers,medical conditions and some of my meds listed. It is just a band you wear on your wrist. I listed mtx on it because pregnant women should not work with body fluids of someone who is taking it. I read about that on warm socks blog. I also listed a neurological problem I have because they should never hyper extend my neck. Hope no one ever needs to refer to the ID but I feel better wearing it. Got it at roadid.com. They also sell shoe tags and dog tags. It never hurts to have extra info in case of an emergency.

Safe riding my friend.

Terry said...

Hello Mary, thank you. I hope 2014 brings relief for all of us!

My wife, who works in the operating room, told me the same thing about pregnant women being around MTX. I will look into the Road ID also. Like you say, hopefully we won't need this.

I can't wait for warm weather, looks like you are getting hit pretty hard this winter. Stay warm.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a major medical condition but I have thought about dog tags for when I ride. If you're out when EMS arrives, it could save time and confusion. I will also look into the Road ID tags.

William

Lana said...

Happy New Year Terry!

Good idea about the med tags. I think anyone with a health condition should consider these.

I hope the New Year is good to you.

Kim said...

Happy New Year to you too Terry! The dog tags at least when riding does seem like a prudent thing to do. Not much riding going on here in Wisconsin. This morning -15.

One thing you said really hit home with me. I find myself thinking it from time to time. I always saw myself running etc in my senior years. Me too.

Take care and dream of warmer weather.

Terry said...

William, I would have never considered it while being healthy but it does make sense for us being out riding to have some medical ID. After looking at the Road ID tags, I think that is what I am going to order.

Lana, I'm definitely ordering the Road ID tags after seeing them. I hope I never need them!

Kim, so good to hear from you! The temps are miserable almost every where in the US right now. Yesterday out high was 16, average temp is high 40's to low 50's for this time where we live. Soon we will both be out riding, for now take care.