Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Memories


Thanksgiving is my mother in laws favorite holiday.  She always has a huge feast at her house every year.  There have been as many as 80 people at her house for Thanksgiving.   We love spending the day with family now as much as my mother in law does.

Back in 91, I was still racing motorcycles at that time, a couple of guys and I headed out at 6 am to do a quick ride before a cold front moved in to our area.  The temperature was mid 60's and we hit the woods not long after day break.  We rode a couple of hours and noticed it was turning cold around 9 am, the cold front wasn't supposed to hit until mid afternoon.  We decided to start heading back to the truck since we all needed to be home before noon anyway.  By the time we got back to the truck and loaded up, the temperature had dropped down into the 30's and it was raining with a little sleet.  By the time we made it back out to asphalt, it was all sleet and we still had mountains to drive through with an hour of interstate to get back home.  Even though the temperature had been warm, there was so much ice falling that the roads started to ice over. That was the longest drive home!  We made it home safely but I was so cold and the bikes were a frozen mess in the back of the truck.  I remember walking into Thanksgiving diner and the house smelled so good and it felt so warm.  Best of all, my daughter came running up to me and gave me a big hug.  I have not been riding on Thanksgiving morning since that year.  It's just for family now.

WIshing all of you a warm and Happy Thanksgiving this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terry
80 people, wow. Well we won't have a third of that at my brothers house, but it is a great time to see the family for us. Hope you have a wonderful get together this Thanksgiving.
Cheers.
Phil Syracuse NY

Terry said...

Hey Phil, good to hear from you. I hope all has been going well with you. It's all about quality time with your family, it doesn't matter if they are 4 or 40 show up. Hey, we did our 3 day ride last month, check it out if you haven't already. We had a blast and the RA was pretty well behaved until the last day.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Phil!

mary said...

Enjoy the holiday and the time with your family.

Terry said...

I will Mary. Unfortunately Donna is sick so I am going solo to Thanksgiving today. I will make a plate for her first and bring it back to the house for her in case she feels up to eating anything, then I will go back and enjoy the day. Tomorrow temps are looking like I could get a short ride in ... if I don't come down with what she has got! Happy Thanksgiving.