Sunday, December 16, 2012

A Hole In My Heart

I can't imagine the pain the parents, siblings and friends are going through in Newton, Connecticut.  I do know this, anyone who is a parent has a hole in their heart, me included.  If I were a policeman or paramedic and had been called to the school that day, that would be the day I quit a good job ... I'm thankful for stronger men and women than I am.  What hero's the teachers and principal are that stood up to pure evil that day giving their life to protect the students. 
I don't claim to have the answers, it seems like (as in most tragedies) there were signs and safeguards ignored or bypassed.  I think it would be a mistake to open the school back up and expect everyone, students, staff and parents, to walk back into the same building as if nothing had happened. 
I have owned guns since I was 13, I currently own 2 rifles and 3 hand guns and have never, ever one time even entertained the thought of shooting someone.  Just 6 weeks ago, one night while I was at work, my wife was home alone.  At 3am someone was trying to break into our house.  She scared them off by turning the hallway light on, not realizing what was going on at first.  The storm door closed and she heard foot steps running away.  She called 911 and  ... 17 minutes later a police car showed up.  A lot can happen in 17 minutes.
I didn't mean to turn this post into a rant.  I'm hurting over it and just rambling now so I will close this with thoughts and prayers going out to the whole community.

2 comments:

Lana said...

I agree with you about guns. Guns do not kill people. People kill people. It is hard to fanthom what happened and having small children, I am starting to question everything I knew. I don't know what the real answers are: gun control, better treatment for mental health, safer schools - I don't know. I just know there has to be a better way and taking guns out of the hands of the good guys gives the bad guys an advantage. All any of us can do is make the best of today because we never know what tomorrow will bring.

abcsofra said...

I cried when I saw the news. It is just heart wrenching when such young and innocent ones are ripped from this earth in such a horrific way.