Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Orencia Update After Rheumatologist Appt

Quick update after my post yesterday. I went for my fourth Orencia infusion this morning and spoke quite frankly with my rheumatologist about my feelings on the Orencia.
After checking me over, he agreed that my hands are not swollen quite as bad as they were, was encouraged that my fatigue and feet are doing some better. He was also impressed that after putting in a 150 mile dual sport ride last week that I had little to no pain compared to my pre-Orencia days. He said that the three month target is an averaged date, not to get discouraged yet, that some people do react a little slower to the full effect and that he feels that by two months down the road I will be doing better.
He also said that if I am not, we will start discussing other options then. He does not want to see me go through another year like this year has been.
My rheumatologist and I began discussing switching medicines in early spring, but I am the one who wanted to hold off and give the Enbrel more time. It had worked well for me up to this point and we had a very cool and damp spring along with a extraordinarily wet summer this year. I didn't want to abandon the Enbrel just because of the unusual weather pattern.

2 comments:

Living It, Loving It said...

Kuddos on the 150 mile dual sport. You are a strong solider. I think that the Orencia needs more time, any new med would, but baby steps are small victories with RA - any RA'er can tell you that.

Helen said...

I'm glad you're feeling so good and the Orencia seems to be working.

I've been on Enbrel for 6 years now and it's still doing everything it's supposed to, so I hope it keeps on working. It's great to know that people are finding other options that work just as well, though.