Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Nailed It

I chose to ignore my pain Monday and had an absolutely great ride logging 130 miles, mostly dirt road with some old logging roads, and a small amount of single track trail thrown in. I fully expected to pay for my fun the next day, but the payback never came yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, ... just confused. Always before when I tend to push myself, I can expect my RA to pay me back with elevated pain for a day or sometimes two. For me, it's worth the spike in my pain level to be able to ride. I don't know if it's coincidence or if the Orencia is going helping me that much, I'm hoping it's the latter.

I got up yesterday morning and got a phone call from my daughter shortly after. She had a nail sticking through the side of her right rear tire. We just bought her a new vehicle this spring and she only had 5000 miles on it. I told her I would be up and take care of it, that she could drive my truck to class or wherever she needed to go whenever I got there. I was 25 miles out of town (she lives 80 miles north of us) and got another call that the dealership in the town she lives in did not have the same tire, that it would be tomorrow afternoon before they could have it in. So, a couple of calls later, I turned around and drove back into Fort Smith and pick the correct tire up and restart my journey back over the mountain.

We got an appointment to have the tire mounted up there and she had to run to class and then check with her adviser about a class for next semester. Everything worked out but it was a hectic morning and afternoon for both of us. It was 5:30 by the time she got back to her apartment and her boyfriend got off work at 6:00 so we all went out to eat at a place they had been telling me about. The restaurant, The Mellow Mushroom, was like stepping back into the late 60's. There was a large VW bus "hippied out" on the wall, tie dyes, peace signs and band memorabilia all over the place. Oh, by the way the pizza I ordered was awesome, David's calzone looked good and was so freakin" huge.

As I was leaving her apartment, I grabbed one of her barstools that was actually about to fall apart, and brought it home with me. I am going to add a couple of cross braces to try to persuade it to be a bit more rigid. I loosened up all of the screws on it, dabbed some wood glue on the joints, clamped and screwed it back together this morning. It is already in much better shape. I loved working with wood in my pre RA days, but now have quite a bit of damage to my hands and don't have the strength or grip I once had. I still have most of my wood tools though, so when a small project pops up, I can still enjoy it for a little while.

2 comments:

Living It, Loving It said...

You are a sweet dad.

Keep being active. That is something is gettting harder and harder for me everyday. I am afriad to overexert myself because I can't deal with the pain. I don't take pain meds unless I am despartate so I guess I can give myself some courage.

tharr said...

Thanks, Lana.

I try to maintain a somewhat active lifestyle. I hope the Humira helps you. It's not much fun hurting day after day.

I occasionally will take some Arthritis Tylenol if I am hurting badly and still have several hours before I get off of work.