Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Little Hair Of The Dog

I have been hurting this week from the after effects that a 171 mile dual sport ride Monday put on my RA. I got a phone call from Randall Tuesday afternoon wanting to go again Wednesday which I declined because I was just hurting too bad to go out. Well, want to go Saturday? I said that I would if I was feeling better. Friday evening Randall called back and asked how I felt and I told him "Let's go for a 100 miler". The truth is that I felt marginally better than I did earlier in the week, but the temperature was supposed to be an unseasonably warm 75. The way I looked at this is, I could sit around the house hurting or I could go do something I love to do and hurt. At least if I go ride, I will be enjoying some good weather and having a great time. Now you understand why I've never been accused of being normal.
We unloaded for a 100 mile dual sport ride Saturday taking dirt roads, trails and asphalt to Mena. The short story is that after 2 flat tires, running across a guy from England on a dual sport bike that we talked with for about 20 minutes, getting lost (big tine lost), finishing the last 1 1/2 hour of the ride in the dark (oh, and running through a group of bats in the dark) we made it ... with 160 miles. When we pulled back up to the truck at 7 pm, the temp was still 65. What a great day to be lost!
The crazy thing about this is I fully expected to be hurting worse this morning. The truth is, I feel really good this morning. I am not stiff, my hands and fingers, hip and shoulder are not hurting at all, zero, nadda, zip! Can someone explain this one to me? If all I have to do to feel better is ride my bike all day, then count me in. I seriously don't know why, I'm not going to question it, but I feel fantastic today.


Cathy said...

I vote for just enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

You know, all those endorphins released while you had such fun certainly can't have hurt, Terry.

Honestly, there's just no predicting this disease. It could be that the flare you experienced all last week, following the long 171 mile ride, had simply run its course by the time you finished yesterday's ride. And what a great thing that you're getting a good break from the pain-drag today! With luck (my clumsy, swollen fingers are crossed) you'll feel good tomorrow and the rest of the week, too. The way to handle RA, I'm convinced, really is to just take it a day at a time.

Enjoy the day!

Shauna said...


So glad that you had a great ride, and none of the high pain levels that you really expected!! WHOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO Terry!!! :-)

Reading your post today truly made me smile. Thanks for that....again proving how our online friends who understand pain can touch our hearts with a few words, for WE know how deep those words go.....

Gentle Hugs my friend <3

tharr said...

Cathy, I couldn't agree more. I'm not going to question it. Any day that I feel good now, I view as a gift.

tharr said...

Wren, I'm sure there is an explanation for it, but I'm not too caught up in that. I agree with you, live one day at a time.

tharr said...

Shauna, it's so good to hear from you. I'm glad you were able to smile while visiting my blog. That is what it is about, friends helping each other get through this mess!