Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Post Without A Point

As most of you know, my blog consists of a personal impact that RA puts on me day to day as well as my days of riding my motorcycle off-road. I guess you could say motorcycles were my first love. Just last night, my wife was at work, so I ordered a pizza and headed out to the shop. I tuned in the Southside high school football game and started my maintenance routine on my KTM 525. Half a pizza, one Dr. Pepper and a Southside win later, I had the KTM ready to ride. I started it up at 10:30 pm, much to the neighbors disapproval, and as it sat in the garage idling, I suddenly realized I had this big dumb grin on my face. I'm 51 years old and I'm grinning like a teenager looking at his prom date.

Not much has been going on lately except work. I have only had one day off out of the last two weeks. Since I work 12 hour shifts that means you go to work, come home and unwind for an hour or so and try to get a good 8 hours of sleep, then back to work. Twelve hour days hurt me with my RA but I am reluctant to complain because with the economy in a downward spiral there are so many people out there without a job. It would be pretty petty of me to complain (but several of my co-workers are) about having to work too much. I have today and tomorrow off so I am trying to catch up on some much needed yard work before the neighbors kick us out of the neighborhood.

My wife is an RN and brought home a printout from uptodate.com entitled "What's New In Rheumatology". I took it to work a couple of night ago and read it then the next day checked the website out. If you are interested, here is the link for the RA portion of their website:

up to date.com RA section

Here is an excerpt from the RA heading: "The TNF inhibitor golimumab, which is given once monthly by subcutaneous injection, was shown to be effective in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) in a large phase 3 trial [19]. It has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of RA (as well as psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis). The role of golimumab in RA treatment relative to other TNF inhibitors, with which there is greater clinical experience, remains to be defined." If you do go to the site, you can view the sections, but you will have to join (free) if you want to check out any of the links contained in the articles.

Golimumab is a human monoclonal antibody which is used as an immunosuppressive drug and marketed under the brand name Simponi. Golimumab targets tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), a pro-inflammatory molecule and hence is a TNF inhibitor. Johnson & Johnson, the parent company of Centocor, has requested approval from European Medicines Agency for the use of golimumab as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. Golimumab will be marketed by Schering-Plough in Europe

My feet are continuing to do better since my first Orencia infusion. We have had a full week of rain and the extended moisture has dampened (no pun intended) both my mood and my pain. I am still, overall, doing better though but I really question whether it is the medicine change or pure coincidence that I am improving this quickly after just one infusion.

Liz, if you drop back by, send me your email address to: tharr@wikianswers.com We have a lot in common and I would like to find out a few things about your riding and working with RA.

0 comments: